At Stimpson Avenue Academy, our curriculum is developed to inspire and challenge all learners and prepare them for the future. We have a coherent curriculum that builds upon children’s early experiences in the primary phase and that helps all young people to become successful learners, confident individuals and responsible citizens.
Our Curriculum Core Principles
All pupils are provided with outstanding learning experiences that lead to consistently outstanding levels of pupil achievement.
- All teachers and other professionals possess expert levels of knowledge in the subjects they teach.
- A positive, caring attitude where achievements at all levels are acknowledged and valued, is prevalent throughout the school.
- All pupils, from the earliest opportunity, are encouraged to develop independence, self-discipline, responsibility and the ability to build resilience.
- A shared sense of purpose amongst pupils, staff and parents is fostered at all times.
- We aim to offer a very wide range of experiences to extend their understanding of themselves and the world in which they live.
- Skills, attitudes and values are developed to prepare the children for the next stage of learning and enable them to be successful in the community.
- All aspects of school life are underpinned by fundamental values which link closely to British Values. These are: tolerance, respect, high aspirations, collaboration and honesty
At Stimpson Avenue Academy we know that the most effective learning takes place when there is considerable emphasis on active involvement, opportunities to talk both imaginatively, expressively and to explain and clarify thinking. Using the Chris Quigley Creative Curriculum connections across subjects are integral to our curriculum design; in turn we enable the children to achieve a deepening level of understanding of all areas of the National Curriculum.
In Key Stage One we use Read Write Inc to provide our children with a structured and systematic approach to the teaching of phonics. With this we aim to create confident and successful readers and willing writers.
Excellence Through Outstanding Learning Behaviours
Our aim is to produce well rounded community members, and children who are prepared for life in a fast changing society. To achieve this we place emphasis on the development of six learning behaviours and teach our children:
In Foundation Stage we encourage:
- “Go for it gorilla” (I will have a go!)
- “Proud peacock” (I am proud of what I do)
- “Choosing chimp” (I choose ways to do things)
- “Exploring Elephant” (I am an explorer)
- “Concentrating crocodile” (I join in and concentrate)
- “Creative chameleon” (I have my own ideas)
- “I know rhino” (I play with what I know)
- “Persevering parrot” (I keep trying)
- “Slinky linky snake” (I can make links)